Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Riding in the West of Cornwall?
  • alexonabike

Moving to the Scilly Isles for a year and am coming to terms with the lack of proper riding. I am thinking of storing my bike and other weekend stuff in a lock-up in Penzance and travelling from there by train to biking locations.

Is there any good riding in the area? I am after relatively technical riding not an XC pootle on country lanes and bridal-ways. Am I asking for too much? Is it a case of taking long weekends off and getting the sleeper train to somewhere?

alexonabike

No-one?

ilovemygears
    Free Member

hi mate from that area my self, there some ok rideing around penzance if you gove over Ding Dong way..pedeen way ok as well, better stuff around camborne area like poldice valley and all the old mine stuff, comeing down carn Bray hill is good, coast path between Gwitian and newquay is good as well, loads of rideing ask in some of the loacl shops, Penzance cycles and Cycle logic in helston are good places to ask.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

no one give a stuff about foot paths eather so ride any were you want, ther is a very good track that involves going through some persons garden , Hint..Find Gwinear cemetery, its the nearest lane opposite it, nice down hill..Watch out for angary man…say hello for me if you see him ..:) if you want i can PM you some links to some good places to ride 🙂

alexonabike

Ace – cheers buddy. I move down there in September so may PM you then. I just hope I don’t go stir-crazy on the little island of Tresco!

ilovemygears
    Free Member

ok mate, just going to takeaway, and ill try send you some links tonight, Tresco, OMG thats like the smalest place ever… what are you doing there for a year?

alexonabike

I’m a gardener and have a trainee position at the Abbey Gardens. Pretty good gig!

orena45

I live in the Camborne/Redruth/Helston area – plenty of bridleways and cheeky footpaths available round here – good mix of XC and techy downhills as mentioned above. Give me a shout if you fancy hooking up for a ride!

Not too familiar with Penwith area riding-wise, did do a ride west of St Ives on my own a while back, just got the map out and put together a route over the moor which was nice so that would be an option. Otherwise, drop Gavtheoldskater a email as he’s down there and might be able to give you some route ideas?

Oh yeah…hope you have sea legs as the boat trip over from the Scillies is not nice when it’s rough!

Burchy1
    Free Member

Oh yeah…hope you have sea legs as the boat trip over from the Scillies is not nice when it’s rough!

You mean the s(i)c(k)illonian 😀

stevede
    Free Member

Look up a group called cfr on facebook, there’s a broad spectrum of riders on there from full on dh’ers to cx riders and everything in between, a great resource for local riding.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Riding in the West of Cornwall?’ is closed to new replies.